More Than Words
“But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man shall be blessed in what he does.” James 1:22-25
I have heard people describe some folks as “all talk and no action.” As a follower of Jesus Christ, that is the last thing that I would ever want said about me. I want, as James 1 declares, to be not only a hearer of the Word but also a doer. How then do we take what the Word of God tells us and apply it to our lives?
There are a lot of Bible study plans out there that will help us navigate our way through the Scriptures. What should we be looking for as we study the Bible that we can practically use in our everyday life? I want to provide you with six application questions to use as a guide when you study the Bible.
1. Does this text reveal something about the nature of God?
2. Does this text reveal something I should praise, thank, or trust God for?
3. Does this text reveal something I should pray for, for me, or others?
4. Does this text reveal something that I should have a new attitude about?
5. Does this text reveal something I should make a decision about?
6. Does this text reveal something I should do for Christ, others, or myself?
From these questions, we can look next for specific applications for our lives. These specific applications are:
1. Is there a sin to confess?
2. Is there a promise to claim?
3. Is there an example to follow?
4. Is there a command to obey?
5. Is there an idea about God to know?
6. Is there an error to avoid?
7. Is there someone to pray for?
My desire is that I will be effective in obeying God’s Word and living out the Christian life from a Biblical Worldview. When we make the everyday decisions of life whether big or small according to the Bible we are in essence living with a Biblical Worldview. I pray that our lives will be more than just words.